Students of Chittagong University (CU) took to the streets on Thursday night in a torchlight march demanding the resignation of the university’s proctorial body, accusing it of gross negligence in ensuring campus safety after last week’s violent clashes.
Starting from the Shaheed Minar around 8 PM, the procession moved to the proctor’s office, where demonstrators splashed red paint on its gates. Organizers said the act symbolized the administration’s “blood-soaked mindset” in the wake of student injuries.
The protest, organized under the banner Adhikar Sacheton Shikkharthibrindo (Rights-Conscious Students), drew participation from the Democratic Student Council, Revolutionary Students’ Union, Pahari Chhatra Parishad, women’s groups, and students from multiple departments.
Protesters raised seven key demands: medical care for the injured, temporary housing facilities, full campus security, punishment of perpetrators, creation of an inclusive coordination committee, implementation of Syndicate decisions, and the proctorial body’s immediate resignation.
Revolutionary Students’ Union president Jashad Zakir said, “We gave the administration until 6 PM to resign. They ignored the deadline, so we launched this protest. Without a safe campus, our movement will not stop.”
Democratic Student Council organizer Mohammad Akib added, “Classes and exams have resumed while our friends are still in the ICU. If our demands are ignored, we will announce tougher programs.”
The protest comes in the aftermath of violent clashes between CU students and residents of nearby Jobra village, which flared from Saturday midnight until Sunday afternoon. At least 550 people were injured, including nearly 520 students. Three students remain in critical condition, with one still on life support.
Earlier this week, CU authorities filed a case over the violence, and police arrested eight individuals. Their bail was denied on Thursday.
